Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Where have our manners gone?

I tend to think I'm a pretty polite person. (correct me if I'm wrong!) So when walking into a store yesterday, hands full with a crying child who had skinned her knee and two others tagging along - why is it that I had to hold the door for two other ladies coming out? Even worse, after they walked through the door that I was holding for them, they didn't even extend a mere THANK YOU!

I cannot figure out why, but events like this irk me!! As a mom of three I am constantly finding opportunities to point out to my children times in which they should have said thank you, picked up something for someone else when dropped or hold doors for others. Am I setting them up to be a rarity in society?

I am fortunate to have been raised by parents who made sure I understood the importance of being courteous to others (and not just on the playground). But not only did they make sure I understood the importance of it but that I made it a daily practice in my life.

So, the next time someone holds the door open for you - please, remember to say "thank you".

No comments:

Post a Comment