Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What's for Dinner?

Every night I am constantly struggling to find something that everyone will eat. And by that I mean kids and parents included. We, as parents, can only have so many meals consisting of chicken nuggets, macaroni/cheese, noodles with butter, etc. But when I do invoke some "change" there is always some form of complaint.

How did our mom's do it when we were growing up? I remember when dinner was ready, we all sat down, ate up and didn't complain. Although, I do have to admit there were a few times I remember shoving as much food into my mouth as I possibly could and then excused myself to the bathroom. Wonder if they ever caught on to this? Luckily for me, my kids have not gotten that creative.

Recently I was cleaning out my office and came across hundreds of recipes I had ripped out of various magazines. I am sure my intent was to cook them some day - however, when I noticed some dated back to 2002, I realized my time was up.

So I've taken a new approach...cook a new recipe every night (taking Friday's off for family pizza night, of course!) The kids can then decide keep the recipe and make again or send it to the trash (along with the leftovers!). In return, they have to promise to eat without complaint. Moreover, we, the parents, have to be honest about our "take" on the meal as well.

Well, to date, it's going pretty good. We have tossed a few recipes in the trash and have managed to keep a few for another try. I have to say I'm proud of the kids for taking on this challenge with me. Not only am I getting a chance to expand their taste buds but
selfishly, I am getting the opportunity to clean up my recipe book.




No comments:

Post a Comment